The book of Revelation when properly understood will inspire hope in the heart of every believer. There is a Blessing for those who hear it and understand it and keep it in their hearts. It was written for the church to inspire hope for the future.
Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near. —Revelation 1:3
God choose to reveal the events that were to take place upon His Son’s return to the Apostle John in vision form.
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants-things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John… Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this. —Revelation 1:1,19
There are a couple of rules of bible interpretation that I use when studying bible prophecy.
- All scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit and is reliable.
- Interpret the Scriptures literally. Let scripture interpret scripture when it comes to symbols.
- Keep scripture in its context. It’s like viewing a google map! You can zoom in for details and zoom out for context.
- Keep in mind that history, culture, and the sciences can confirm and bring clarity to the Scriptures.
The book of Revelation is the longest prophecy and most detailed prophecy of the Bible. It brings to conclusion God’s promises to the church and to Israel. Here is a quick outline of the book of Revelation…
- Admonitions to the seven churches in chapters 2,3
- The saints at the throne of God in heaven before the judgments begin in chapters 4,5
- The 21 judgments from heaven released by the Lord Jesus Christ in chapters 6,8,9,15,16
- The return of Jesus Christ with His church in chapter 19
- The Kingdom of God upon the earth in Chapters 20,21
- The mysteries of specific characters in chapters 7,10,11,12,13,14,17,18 and their role in the tribulation.
God knows the end from the beginning and the last book of the Bible gives a detailed view of the events surrounding the second coming of the Lord.
For a summary of the book click here…
For a breakdown of events, character, symbols and their meanings click here…